We are again seeking volunteers to assist with monitoring our lakes plant life.
During the past eight years we have had members of the Big Lake Community Lakes Association help identify areas in Mitchell and Big Lakes where Eurasian Milfoil and Curley Leaf Pondweed are growing.
With this information, we inform the Minnesota Department of Resources and our contracted invasive plant treatment company with locations of these two invasive aquatic species. They base their permits and treatments on our data as well as data they have collected.
Interested in helping?? Here's what's involved-
1) We will hold a training session for you lasting about 20 minutes.
2) You will learn how to identify these two aquatic plants.
3) All the necessary equipment and charting forms will be passed out along with your assigned surveying area along the shore of Big or Mitchell Lakes.
4) You will need to supply your water craft and your desire to volunteer your time to help make a difference.
5) Twice each month, June, July, August, September (That is eight times a summer)you will move across your area collecting and identifying samples of the aquatic plants growing in the water.
6) If you identify Curley Leaf Pondweed you mark the location on your map.
7) If you identify Eurasian Water Milfoil you save a sample, drop a maker in the lake, and contact Sanford Smith.
If you are interested in participating call: Sanford Smith 763-263-1482
For more information on aquatic species, go to our Resource Page where you will find several links to check out.